On behalf of Her Majesty The Queen The Prince of Wales will attend the commemorations for the 100th anniversary of the Battle of Vimy Ridge. His Royal Highness will be accompanied by The Duke of Cambridge and Prince Harry at the Canadian National Vimy Memorial in France, on Sunday 9th April 2017.
The Battle of Vimy Ridge took place between 9th – 12th April 1917, and was part of the opening phase of the Battle of Arras. The four divisions of the Canadian Corps, as well as other Allies, faced off against three divisions of the German Sixth Army. The battle is seen as Canada's most notable military victory and a symbol of the birth of Canadian National pride. The centenary commemorations are due to take place over the weekend of Saturday 8th and Sunday 9th April 2017, at Vimy.
The Canadian National Vimy Memorial is the largest Canadian Memorial to the First World War in Europe. The commemorative events hosted by Veterans Affairs Canada on 9th April at the site will pay homage to Canada’s First World War effort and to those who made the ultimate sacrifice.
NOTES FOR EDITORS
Recent engagements that Their Royal Highnesses have attended relating to Canada:
• 16th December 2016 – The Prince of Wales hosted a roundtable discussion for the Language Committee of Canada’s national organization of the Inuit, the Inuit Tapiriit Kanatami (ITK). The committee works to preserve and revitalize the ancient languages of the Inuit of Canada’s Arctic. They visited Wales to discuss their work to standardise the Inuit language of Inuktitut and learn from the Welsh example of language revitalization.
• 24th September to 1st October 2016 – The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, Prince George and Princess Charlotte visited Canada. The Duke and Duchess toured British Columbia and the territory of Yukon.
• 1st July 2016 – The Prince of Wales, The Duchess of Cornwall, The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Prince Harry all attended the Somme Centenary Commemorations in France.
• 4th May 2016 – The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall toured Canada House to view the recent restoration works and meet architects involved in the project before joining a reception for staff and guests.
• 2nd May 2016 – Prince Harry visited Toronto to attend three engagements marking the official launch of the countdown to the third Invictus Games which will be held in the city in September 2017.
• 18th – 21st May 2014 – The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall visited Canada. Their Royal Highnesses toured Halifax and Pictou County in Nova Scotia, Charlottetown, Bonshaw and Cornwall in Prince Edward Island and Winnipeg in Manitoba.
• 30th June – 8th July 2011 – The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge visited Canada. Their Royal Highnesses toured the National Capital Region; Montreal and Quebec City, Quebec; Charlottetown and Summerside, Prince Edward Island; Yellowknife, Northwest Territories; and Slave Lake and Calgary, Alberta.