#RoyalVisitIreland: Day 2

To begin The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall's final day in Ireland, The Prince visited Kilmacurragh House and Botanic Gardens in Wicklow. Kilmacurragh Botanic Gardens aims to preserve and develop a collection of mostly wild origin plants, including a large range of endangered plants which are used for public education as well as to support international conservation efforts and scientific research.

During the visit, His Royal Highness saw the wildflower garden and learnt about the work and history of the Kilmacurragh House. 

Meanwhile, The Duchess of Cornwall visited Avoca Mill. The Mill in Avoca village was originally set up as co-operative in 1723. Here, local farmers could grind their corn, and spin and weave their wool for clothing for the local miners. Today, there are third generation weavers working at the Mill and Avoca has 12 locations across the country, including cafes and restaurants. On the visit, Her Royal Highness saw examples of yarn used in the Mill and had the opportunity to speak to the weaver on the working floor.

Following this, His Royal Highness visited the Upper Lake in Wicklow Mountains National Park, Glendalough. This is the largest National Park, covering 22,000 hectares of the Wicklow uplands. The National Park has an Education Team, running information services for visitors and educational programmes. On arrival, The Prince was introduced to the education staff and local schoolchildren on the lakeshore. 

His Royal Highness was also introduced to Wicklow Mountain Rescue, comprised of 100 volunteers. The team provides a rescue service over 2,000 square kilometres of the Wicklow uplands and Dublin Mountains.

The Prince also visited the Glendalough Monastic Settlement, one of the most important monastic sites in Ireland. Most of the buildings that survive today date from the 10th through 12th centuries. Although little remains today, the monastery in its heyday included workshops, areas for manuscript writing and copying, guest houses, an infirmary, farm buildings and dwellings for both the monks and a large lay population.